Sunday, June 04, 2006

It’s not a “mezu-zah” it’s a “mezu-zon’t”

In both my previous and current apartments I removed the mezuzahs from my doorposts. For better or for worse, but really for worse, mostly every building in Israel has a mezuzah on just about every doorpost, as dictated by Jewish law. This does not apply to the bathroom because you know what you do in there. And for reasons unexplained, it does not apply to one’s bedroom, or any other room for that matter, where (dependent upon your level of sexual perversity) one partner masturbates while the other partner shits and/or pees on the other’s face – all under the divine protection of the torahnic versus contained within.

As a non-practicing, uninterested Jew the idea of having a mezuzah on any of my doorposts seems contradictory to my desire to minimize, as much as possible, religious manifestations in my personal life. It is very important that this includes the piece of parchment encased in a crappy piece of plastic (or expensive and ornate piece of judaica if you live in cap loving America) despite the fact that it comes free with the dwelling. Which leads me to my next point, the religious coercion that is a “free mezuzah.” All Jews are genetically programmed to desire free goods, but should it also be forbidden, such as ham, or undesirable, as is a mezuzah, then there is a natural quandary as which path to pursue, free or forbidden. The important point here is that in along these terms a mezuzah is equal to ham, though not as delicious, unless deep fried but then again what isn’t delicious if it’s deep fried, like chicken fried steak, okra, snickers, oreo cookies and, of course, a mezuzah with a ham parchment inscribed with the holy words of the shma prayer rolled up inside it.

Unfortunately, I am forced to report that the overwhelming majority of Israeli Jews, secular as they may be, have given in en masse to their genetic programming. The mezuzah remains possibly the single most widespread occurrence that is religious in origin. However, it seems, that the hanging, or to be more specific, the keeping up of the mezuzah has little to do with religious identification after all. Most, it seems view the ubiquitous mezuzah as little more than a good luck charm.

Now, for be it from me to scorn the disrespect of religion. If someone wants to make fun of, point out the many falsities or just plain piss on the face of Jesus, Yahweh and whoever the guy is that the Muslims worship then more power to them, or not, I really don’t care. But the point is, it seems that transforming a religious article that contains what millions of partially retarded religiously observant people consider to be the word of god into nothing more than a Semitic horse shoe, then that is the real offense to god. But hey, if god can’t take a good joke, then fuck him or her or it.

All power to the voo doo man.

8 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Blogger Arie said...

Now might be a good time to mention that the first time I met you, Ari, you were a Jewish educator and religious role model to me and other naive 13 year-olds. And I'm pretty sure you didn't even abuse us.

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well fuck you very much, Ari!

With this post you have scared away most of http://english.webster.co.il readers.

And now that's its only you and me here... nah, forget it. I SAID NO!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Ari said...

Arie, I'm still a Jewish educator for fuck's sake. I live in ISRAEL, mezuzahs, god, jewish ritual male genital mutilation (that could be either circumcision or abusive levels of masturbation - and both of them are explored on this blog and at my home), it's all here bubbahleh so shut the fuck up, sit back and be educated.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never saw a taboo that wasn't worth smashing and you Ari do it oh so well!!

WB

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Ethan said...

Well done Ari, thats the kind of post I was waiting for.

 
At 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here is what i don't get about all u transplanted americans in israel. so many of u have such a problem with religion. so why go? is it your desire for self abuse? granted the women are beautiful, but then i prefer south americans or eskimos. if u just like living in a place where u can bitch and complain and be pessimistic, america is fine for that and u dont have to watch football at 3 AM. i think i know it though. u all just want to go far away from your mothers, and lets face it u still have to deal with their guilt. israel was the only option to lessen the burden.

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so many of americans in israel have a problem with religion ?

what Israel are you living in? Mini Israel ? Because here, in the real one, the vast majority of Americans are Jerusalem Post reading, frequent Kotel visiting, yeshiva learning, Torah thumping, Palestinian kid shooting, desolate hill land grabbing, orange band sporting, indian women hair wearing, group davening weirdos.

Which is one of the reasons why Ari's blog is so refreshening. together with his magnetic penis.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Ari said...

First, here's an interesting JPost article that appeared in this weekend edition's frontpage about mezuzah related carrying ons. I like the idea of freedom of expression, but if your condo association sets a rule, I've learned enough from Seinfeld that you just don't want to fuck with those people. They have no lives.

As for our idiot friend Anonymous: I find that bitching and complaining is a way of life, not connected to circumstance at all. You're right, so there must be something else. You're also correct about the women here but also about the women in other places, so let's look beyond that as well. First, there is the fact that it is a great place to live - politics and social ills aside, since such issues exist just about everywhere. For better and for worse I have sugned myself up for this Zionist project and I don't see Israel as a state for religious people. As such, I am hoping that I can raise some interesting points, in my own way, that I feel need to be addressed and discussed so that Israel can become a better society. I think this is a component that makes a person a good citizen. I would hope that I would be doing this in any place that I chose or will choose to live. For now it is in Israel and I do have an emotional connection to the place, which is something that I am proud to say about my chosen home. However, you also make a great point about mothers. While guilt and pain know no boundaries, distance seems to make them much easier to deal with and process.

And, Neyne, my penis is magic not magnetic. Did you just see X-men 3?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home