Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Meshuggenah Mile

In July of 2005 the national Jewish student magazine, New Voices, published the following article that I wrote while serving as their Israel correspondent. In it I interviewed the American King David and Mike Levin.

David died in Shin Bet custody this past week. I was first informed by an acquaintance of his who emailed me after conducting on online search for her friend's name. You can read a brief report on his death here. In the email that I received I was told that this was not a hunger strike but his refusal to eat anything other than organic foods, which were not provided to him.

Levin was killed in battle in Southern Lebanon recently. Besides the vast local and international coverage of the American who died in the IDF you can read a little bit about him here.

6 Comments:

At 12:29 AM, Blogger asiatown77 said...

I used to write for New Voices. Small world, eh?

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Arie said...

For somebody who was close with Mike, this was an incredibly cold tribute to him. I loved your article at the time, but the Mike who died in battle was not the same Mike you wrote about last year. Remembering for being a crazy bastard makes me smile. But remembering him for being a trigger-happy psychopath just doesn't seem like the Mike we both knew in recent months.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Ari said...

Jeez, I hadn't really considered this a tribute. It's a fucking blog for christ's sake, that's no way to remember a person, from a blog. And, yeah, Mike changed a lot, but this is a fucking blog for fuck's sake!

When are you coming back to Israel?

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey fARIE,

People die, we mourn, life goes on. You should remember people as they were in your life, but don't criticize if ari choose to remember him in his own way. Besides I think you are wrong. Mike was enthusiastic about everything in his life, especially his military service, till the end.


Not putting words in someone else’s is the first step in redemption. mmmmmm delicious redemption. Tastes like chicken.

ps. move back to Israel

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Arie said...

I don't know, it still seemed crass to sort of making passing mention to the death of one of your brother's best friends as a simple twist of irony (Alanis Morissette-style irony, maybe, I'm not really sure) related to an article you wrote for a magazine that 5 people read (including myself).
And Mike was definitely enthusiastic about army service, but more about defending his country and his people, not about discriminatingly shooting Pallies.
Either way, I'm back in Israel Sept 14. Somebody find me a fucking job in the US in the meantime for fuck's sake!

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By serving in a foriegn military it makes this guy a traitor.

If he was an American then he should have served in the US military.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home