Monday, December 11, 2006

A crappy, crappy Jew.

It is possible that I just might be the worst Jew ever. It would help if a Hasidic rabbi were to confirm this, though it would not mean all that much, I would still be a shitty Jew regardless.

Most people, especially friends, who might be reading this, will no doubt attribute my self-flagellation to the point that I do not observe Jewish law, including but not limited to kashrut, Shabbat, mezuzah, coveting and shotnez. Or it might be pointed out that I am not as bad a Jew as I might think being that I live in Israel, do not engage in bestiality and put on tefillin every morning. But my status as an ever so crappy Jew has nothing to do with my observance of actual Jewish law, which I care almost nothing about.

Rather, I am a horrible Jew because I am a fifth, possibly sixth, generation American.

My ancestors, all from the Ukraine to the best of my knowledge, came to America long enough ago to miss out on that quintessential European Jewish experience best known as the Holocaust.

I am a second rate Jew because I have no close relations who were murdered at the hands of the Nazis.

Fucking Nazis, right?

At no family gathering on either my maternal or paternal side were there old Jews with hooked noses nor numbers on their forearms who horded leftovers in their sport coats or purses in the hopes of being prepared for when the Nazis come a second time. A fact of which my non-existent forbearers would have been un waveringly assured.

I missed out on having a personal connection to the defining Jewish experience since god chose us as his people. A curse that has haunted every last Jew everywhere (me especially) but to which only a lucky few were able to witness in its most tragic of manifestations.

For all intense and purposes my family would have been that one group of Africans who, upon not finding the proper tree from whose wood to manufacture a drum were to have thus decided to move to America in search of a better life, resulting in having missed out on the whole middle passage. How very ludicrous!

And the reality of it is that there is no going back. There is nothing, no comparable Jewish experience that can allow me to make up for a the lost Holocaust.

I suppose I could tell people that I am of Mizrachi decent. But that would not be right. Anyway they had their own Holocaust type event that no Ashkenazi Jew even cares about. And, I do not want to try and make up for one Holocaust by pretending to have a connection to a much crappier incarnation of one.

No matter how many times I might watch Schindler’s List or walk the grounds of the camps – Auschwitz, Treblinka, Ramah or Terezin – I will remain with this permanent handicap. My complete lack of a direct familial connection to the Holocaust. And, I fear, that is the single, greatest source of my virulent anti-Semitism – making me an ever so crappy Jew.

13 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Arie said...

Big disappointment. The only part of this entry that I truly enjoyed was the walking around the grounds of the camps part.
I mean seriously. So my family does have a connection to the Holocaust (on my Sephardi side much closer than my Ashkenazi side, actually). And am I a better Jew than you are?
I guess that doesn't really help my point.

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Jonny Yank said...

Don't worry - you aren't a "crappy" Jew - worry: you are a horrible person. What a great (read: disgusting) rant about "missing out" on the defining Jewish event in hisotry...missing out makes it sound like you overslept or something - instead your complaining about having your ancenstry NOT go through the holocaust?! You want to think about that statement son - you need to think about the implications of what you are saying before you so rashly post drivel like this.

My grandfather from Poland had 6 siblings - he and one other survived. But I should be thankful right? Because at least I didn't "miss out" on ancestors with numbers burned into their arms - of course I did potentially miss out on a massive, supportive, extended family - but that of course doesn't foster jewish credibility - it's better that they were all killed so i had a familial connection the holocaust - much better huh? Makes me not a "crappy" jew right?

you're a fucking moron - start writing about shit that won't patronize and offend the millions of jews who "fortunately" did not "miss out" on the holocaust.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Shira said...

You put on tefillin every morning man? Wow, how the hell does that work with your fro?

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Ari said...

Jonny, you lucky, lucky fuck. How can you be so blind to your good fortune? You had relatives with numbers on their arms! That's about as Holocaust as it gets and you're a horrible and disgusting person for not having the frame of mind, gratitude of family and respect of history to appreciate such a blessing. And let me tell you something about extended Jewish families whose ranks were unfortunately not thinned. They are not supportive or loving. Just that much more neurotic and obbsesive. I mean, how many times and for how long can you sit, eating your matzo while being by numerous relatives whose names you can hardly remember when you will be marrying and making babies? Damn it, if I wanted babies I wouldn't pay for so many fucking abortions. But, hey, at least my abortionist is Jewish and gives me the in-the-family discount. You've gotta love family.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Asi & Edo said...

dear johnny and arie.
fuck you. seriously. i've had enough of explaining p[eople what humor is. if a nigger is allowed calling another nigger a nigger than a jew can make fun of whatever jewish shit he wants. especially when it's fucking satire. i.e mocki9ng the fact that jews need to define themselves though suffer and anguish mainly, and the holocaust specificly. fuck. i just explained it. damn. see? i told you i hust want the fuck you.

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger Gorgeous Girl said...

nice blog ari.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Gorgeous Girl said...

um this is for asi. why should anyone read your blog. the last time you updated it was last year.

ps . I liked it.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Arie said...

asi, you're an idiot who doesn't understand irony. sort of like jon. and ari, you just aren't as funny as you used to be. you should spend more time being funny and less time trying to train me, goldstein and zev to be you.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Although your tone was a little insensitive, I totally AGREE with your warped premise and self image with regards to a connection to the Holocaust. One must take pains not to exploit or minimize the shoah, BUT- in the hierarchy of Ashkenazim, for whatever reason, people whose Bubbies and Zeidies survived the shoah hold their chin just a little higher. There are a few reasons, such as the one you explored in you post: they have a direct connection to one seminal event in Jewish history and are therefore more "Jewy" than most- especially 5th or 6th generation Americans. Americans just lack that ethnic flavor present in more recent immigrants. Perhaps this is why you long to be mizrachi, and I can relate to that. They are very ethnic, and therefore more "Jewy" in their own way and don't need the holocaust to validate their Jewishness. SECONDLY: many of the survivors were Yekis (Jews of Germanic descent) and Yekis hold themselves higher than all Jews- especially those from the Ukraine. You guys are pretty low on the Ashkenazic totem pole (don't take offense- my Grandpa was from Belarus/Poland, so I can sympathize). This is why I dislike Yekis (as a GROUP) more than other groupings of Jews (although I'm not so into Syrians, and the jury is also still out on Bukharians). Yekis seem to rule the roost: they seem to be wealthy and they cling to exclusive minhagim and strictures of comportment which only serve to alienate their ashkenazic brothers. All in all- funny post: funny b/c there is some truth to it. But- don't despair, that's not what makes you a crappy Jew, if anything. You're lucky that the creation of the Medinah was the very next seminal event in Jewish history and you've taken part in that directly and personally by making Aliyah thereby ending your family's galut. Kol hakavod.

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Eugene Gershin. I'd like to welcome you to Obadiah Shoher's blog, Samson Blinded: A Machiavellian Perspective on the Middle East Conflict.

Obadiah is a pen name of a politician. He writes extremely controversial articles about Israel, the Middle East politics, and terrorism.

Obadiah advocates political rationalism instead of moralizing. He is economic liberal and political conservative.

Google refused advertising our site and Amazon deleted reviews of Obadiah's book. Nevertheless, Obadiah’s is the largest Jewish personal blog, read by more than 100,000 people monthly. 210,000 people from 81 countries downloaded Obadiah’s book. The blog was voted the best overall in People’s Choice: Jewish and Israeli blogs Awards, received Webby Honoree and other awards.

Please help us spread Obadiah's message, and mention the blog in one of your posts, or link to us. We would greatly appreciate your comments at www.samsonblinded.org/blog



Best wishes,

Eugene Gershin

Jewrusalem.net – Israeli Uncensored News

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Ari
I'm writing from Italy. Sorry I didn't find your email address.
I would like to translate this post of you and publish it on a literary web magazine, Buràn
http://www.buran.it/
I beg your permission.
Please contact me at redazione@buran.it.
Best
Flaviano

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think I can appreciate your view point. Very few people have the courage to express their views. Do keep us posted. This is Ben from Israeli Uncensored News

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Iguana Mom said...

Well, you'll always have the Nakba!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home